How To Polish Sterling Silver Jewellery

I became a polishing fiend when I started creating my own jewellery, there was something about taking a dirty piece of silver and buffing it to the point I could see my own crazed reflection that had me in awe! So today I am going to share how I polish a pair of my simple hexagon studs!

You will need:
Polishing Compound – Luxi Blue Universal Polishing Compound (997 429)
Pendant Motor – Dremel 3000 Rotary Drill Kit and Flexshaft (997 6201)
Eveflex Rubber Burr – Extra Fine (970 180)
Emery Paper Grade 500 (973 070)
Emery Paper Grade 1200 (973 090)
Emery Paper Grade 2000 (973 110)
Leather Pendant Wheel (999 ACQ)
Polish Cloth (997 423)
Renaissance Wax Polish (998 118R)

Step One: The Sanding
I always begin with sanding down my pieces, this part is quite methodical as I go from grade 500 then 1200 and lastly 2000.  When sanding, I always like to sand in the same direction to get rid of any fine scratches.

Step Two: The Polishing
This is just the first polish I give to my pieces (I did tell you I was a polish fiend!). Begin with adding some Luxi Blue Polishing Compound to your leather pendant wheel and begin going around the base of your silver, I like to do this in circular motions.

Step Three: Getting Rid Of Scratches
Once you have given your piece its first polish, take your extra fine rubber burr and go over your piece again, I do this in circular motions and also following the shape of the jewellery.  I suggest doing this once or twice.

Step Four: Another Polish
Go back in with your Leather Pendant Wheel and Luxi Blue Polishing Compound.  I never rush the final polishing stage as this is where you see your design start to come to life! Once you have finished with the polishing, give it a wee buff with a polish cloth, if you find there is still some scratches repeat steps three and four!

Step Five: Waxing
Don’t worry I don’t mean the painful waxing! I mean adding a wee tarnish protection coat, this is the last stage of my polishing regime and is also the relaxing part, it is where you take five minutes to breathe and actually appreciate the work that goes into your jewellery!

To use the wax, I pop a wee bit on a cotton bud (You don’t want a lot) and give my earrings a light layer of wax and leave to sit for 20 minutes.  After twenty minutes give your piece a wee buff with a cloth and that is done.

By Pop-Up Jewellery



source https://www.cooksongold.com/blog/learn/how-to-polish-sterling-silver-jewellery/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Cut And Polish Gemstones By Hand

Filing metals: How to file flat, square and curved surfaces

Getting to Know Sarah King