Designer of the Month: Natasha Cross

Jewellery maker Natasha Cross likes to create intricate silver pieces, as well as work with beads and wire. She describes her style as classic yet quirky, and thinks that jewellery making should be considered a sport. View some of her work, read about where she gets her inspiration from and more in this month’s Designer of the Month interview.

Let us know a bit about yourself, detailing your background, study and training in the jewellery making industry.

I am Natasha Cross, I’m 29 years old and I live on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland.

I run a small part time business called Hebridean Treasure Trove, where I sell jewellery and some gift items.

In 2017, I started making simple costume jewellery. It was more as a hobby than professionally, through this my love for jewellery making grew but I knew I needed training. So, I signed up for a short jewellery course a year ago, and learnt piercing, soldering and how to set a cabochon. I have also been teaching myself different techniques and hope to grow more and more as a designer and a jeweller

I still classify myself as a beginner but I think the love for the craft makes up for any lack of knowledge, I can imagine I will still be learning in 15 years’ time. I would love my business to become full time in the future but at the moment I’m happy to keep improving my skills.

Tell us about your work – are there any particular materials or techniques that you favour?

I love working with silver, however I do make a few items from brass. I currently make my jewellery out of sheet or rod; I haven’t tried casting yet but may try it in the future. I also love using gemstones in my work I hope to make use of them more. I want to improve my skills and learn different stone setting techniques.

How would you best describe your design style?

I would describe my style as classic but quirky, I love simple designs but with a little twist.  I think my style is still growing and will change a bit over the years.

Where do you like to get your inspiration from for your pieces?

I would say many things inspire me, especially the island I live on. I also get inspiration from other jewellers and jewellery I see. Customers also, especially when they ask for something different and I have to figure out a way to make it work.

Do you have a piece that you have made which you favour or are particularly proud of?

I made a locket for my mum which I am proud of. However, the pieces I made as a project at college I am the proudest of. Such as the pendant and ring set (shown below) made with Garnets and Silver.

What is the one item in your jewellery making workshop that you could not live without?

Well there isn’t really one, I don’t think I could manage without any of them (I’m still building up my tools) But I would have to say my saw because without it I wouldn’t get much done.

What upcoming trends do you see being popular soon?

It’s hard to say but I think jewellery using recycled material will grow in popularity.

What is the most valuable lesson you have learnt from your time in the jewellery making industry?

Always expect people to question your prices and try and get you to change them, so have a good response ready for them. And most importantly never change your price, don’t let anyone devalue your work.

Do you have any particular advice that you would give to up and coming jewellery designers, or someone interested in getting into jewellery making?

Try out a short course and to see if jewellery making is for you, also read as may books as you can to gain knowledge.

Finally, time for a bit of fun in our quick-fire round!

Tell us your favourite…

  • Colour – Purple
  • Biscuit – Dark Chocolate Hobnobs
  • Drink – Coffee
  • Place – Home
  • Animal – Dog
  • Gemstone – Amethyst
  • Food – Lasagne
  • Sport – Jewellery making (I know it’s not a sport but it should be)
  • Film – It’s hard to decide but I do like superhero movies
  • City – I’m not that big on cities so I’ll go with the one closest to where I’m from Manchester

Many thanks to Natasha Cross for being our Designer of the Month of December and for sharing this information

Want to discover the work of other jewellery makers? Take a look at our interviews with even more Designers of the Month to learn more about their designs, inspiration and more.

The post Designer of the Month: Natasha Cross appeared first on The Bench.



source https://www.cooksongold.com/blog/designer-of-the-month/designer-of-the-month-natasha-cross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Cut And Polish Gemstones By Hand

Filing metals: How to file flat, square and curved surfaces

Getting to Know Sarah King